There are many things we love about travelling – experiencing varied cultures, marvelling at the scenery, trying out local food, meeting new people, and making new friends. From discovering a carpet of bluebells to meeting amazing people, we have been fortunate enough to have some amazing experiences on the road. But do you know the best part about travelling? It is that moment when one sees something so spectacular that it takes ones breath away.
We experienced this when we went Quad Biking in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. We knotted our head-scarves as tightly as we possibly could, wore the largest sunglasses we could find, and we were off to explore the Sinai desert with a small group of people. Before we knew it, we were deep in the desert with nobody, except a lone Bedouin, for company. Around us sand dunes stretched to infinity.
We kept going deeper and deeper and the lights of civilisation, blinking in the distance, began to fade away. All we could feel were warm gusts of wind, pieces of gritty sand against our faces, and the gorgeous deep blue sky.
We stopped for a break. Then it came – a staggeringly beautiful sunset. First it was tangerine, then burgundy. As the dusky oranges, blues, and purples coalesced to give us a blaze of colour, our chatty group suddenly fell silent. We stared at the sky, too mesmerised to take pictures. The air was heady, that moment infinite.
Then, that realisation – TO WANDER IS TO LIVE.
We were quiet as we drove back in the dark, under a sky littered with tiny stars.
That is what makes travel special for us – epiphanic moments that cannot be planned but leave an indelible impression. Quad Biking in the Sinai Desert, truly an adrenalin rush like no other. If we could add diving and snorkelling to this experience like our friends Agness and Cez did on their action packed trip to Sharm-el-Sheikh, it would make it a complete experience. I guess we’ll leave that for our next trip 🙂
- Don’t book your quad-biking experience online. Wait to get to Sharm-el-Sheikh. There are a number of travel agents in the local market. Make sure you bargain to get the best price- it is the norm.
- The Quad Biking experience is an easy trip from Sharm-El-Sheikh. It takes 4 hours – 2 hours on the bikes with a refreshment stop at a remote bedouin camp.
- You will be covered in desert sand by the end – make sure you wear old clothes.
- Carry sunglasses to prevent the sand from entering your eyes and a scarf to cover your head.
- Opt for the sunrise or sunset slots – its magical to see the sky change colours
Want to read about surreal experiences we have had or sample fascinating photos from a forgotten part of the world? Hop over to our post about an exotic Desert Safari at Wadi Rum, Jordan or the first time we visited Petra – The Lost City of Jordan